[LUNI] MySQL to PostGres
ekolb at kolbsoft.com
Thu Aug 29 23:34:01 CDT 2002
I have been using MySQL Server for a few years. Although it has been an
incredibly valuable resource, I am considering a move to PostGres.
The reason for this: Well, I currently have several million records which
are queried several thousand times a day and it is definitely not running as
quickly as I would like. I do not believe that this is hardware related
since it is running on an AMD Athlon 1.8ghz with 1gb ram, raid, etc. I also
would like an "Enterprise" level server.
I have read on more than one occasion that Postgres is another Open Source
alternative to MySQL. And I am curious about which direction I should go, so
I have a few questions.
1. How much faster is Postgres than MySQL?
3. How cumbersome is it to migrate from Postgres to MySQL?
4. Are there any tools available to do this?
5. How comparable is support for PostGres?
6. And finally, should I even be looking at PostGres, or is there a better
alternative? (Please keep in mind that im incredibly cheap)
Thanks in advance!
More information about the luni