[LUNI] Making a private network somewhat public.
gatorreina at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 09:26:20 CST 2007
Sorry for being a newbie when it comes to security. But if a new Linksys
router makes me 90% secure, what's the other 10%, what measures do the other
10% consist of?
On Dec 12, 2007 8:53 AM, Jason Rexilius <jason at hostedlabs.com> wrote:
> While all of the below comments are true, I would also take a
> cost-benefit view into account.
> A newer linksys firewall/router will get you 90% there at 10% of the
> cost. The last 10% will provide diminishing returns in relation to cost
> for the majority of people.
> At a very simple level if you leave it in its default config, which does
> NATing and dont map any inbound ports the connection will only be
> outbound which will keep the vast majority of the problems at bay.
> The part about biggest threat being on the inside is true, but thats a
> personnel problem and extremely hard to solve with technology.
> Simplest solutions are best and keeping things within your sphere of
> knowledge is going to keep things manageable.
> Martin Maney wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 07:47:52AM -0600, Richard Reina wrote:
> >> I appreciate the responses. To make sure I understand correctly.
> > The biggest threat to most systems comes from insiders; from this it
> > follows that running old, unsupported OSes is a bad idea.
> > Home market routers are cheap and convenient. IMO they're probably
> > *less* safe than a Linux box that's been secured and is running a
> > supported OS version. Heck, lots of the consumer boxes have been based
> > on Linux - generally older versions of the kernel, and without timely
> > updates (or any after the next new model has come out).
> > You would be far better served paying someone to help you secure the
> > systems than trying to break into it after the fact.
> Linux Users Of Northern Illinois - Technical Discussion
More information about the luni