[LUNI] Making a private network somewhat public.
gatorreina at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 09:54:05 CST 2007
Numbers aside, whether it is the additional 10% 18% 32% of securing of the
network, it would be helpful to know what the other measures are and what
contribution they make to the network's security. Like the following:
Newer Linksys router 80%
Secure SMTP gateway running a striped down OS strict IP tables 15%
Keeping distros up to date on all the networks backen machines 3%
Running IP tables on all the networks machines 2%
These are only examples, I know little about security. It would be great to
get input, so to "attempt" to quantify how much the above measures matter
and what difference additional measures might make.
On Dec 12, 2007 9:35 AM, Martin Maney <maney at two14.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 09:26:20AM -0600, Richard Reina wrote:
> > Sorry for being a newbie when it comes to security. But if a new
> > router makes me 90% secure, what's the other 10%, what measures do the
> > 10% consist of?
> It's just meaningless handwaving with numbers. Did you know that 73%
> of all statistics are just made up?
> People make secure systems insecure because
> insecure systems do what people want and
> secure systems don't. -- James Grimmelmann
> Linux Users Of Northern Illinois - Technical Discussion
More information about the luni