[LUNI] Making a private network somewhat public.
sfaci at cs.uic.edu
Wed Dec 12 10:13:47 CST 2007
Or forgetting to change the default password, and having wifi on as open AP.
On 12/12/07, Jason Rexilius <jason at hostedlabs.com> wrote:
> Exactly.. Sorry, it was more for illustration purposes than anything else.
> But off the top of my head, what could theoretically be part of that 10%
> could be a remote exploit in the IP stack of the linksys kernel that
> only a few people in the world know about or some obscure bug in the
> Wifi driver that someone nearby could crack. This (made up) last 10% is
> the battleground of hardcore security people and a full-time job to
> really get right. Diminishing returns..
> If you want to get to the point where its as close to secure as being
> physically unplugged (which itself is still exploitable remotely, ala
> Van Eck and what not) then you are getting into the realm of full-time
> security expert.
> Martin Maney wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 09:26:20AM -0600, Richard Reina wrote:
> >> Sorry for being a newbie when it comes to security. But if a new
> >> router makes me 90% secure, what's the other 10%, what measures do the
> >> 10% consist of?
> > It's just meaningless handwaving with numbers. Did you know that 73%
> > of all statistics are just made up?
> Linux Users Of Northern Illinois - Technical Discussion
More information about the luni